Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Perspective Correction

I wanted to show an example of the difference it makes in a photo to correct the perspective distortion.   Many of the pictures I take with my lens at 18mm produce photos where the right and left sides are horribly leaning inwards.    I use the Perspective Tool in Paint Shop Pro to correct that distortion, and then I widen the width to compensate for the scrunching that results from the perspective correction.   Here are "before" and "after" examples from one of my photos of City Hall in Philadelphia .... (click photos to enlarge)

Original photo .... notice the terrible leaning buildings


"After" .... buildings are no longer leaning.   I processed the photo with Akvis Sketch and Filter Forge.

This building is the second tallest masonry building in the world, according to Wikipedia.  I normally try to have space on either side of a building, but I just could not get far enough away from this one to capture the entire thing.   I was standing way across the intersection, among crowds of people.   And when I tried to get farther back, other structures were getting in the way.   So, this is not the best shot in the world.   But my aim was to capture as much of City Hall as I could.

5 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau December 29, 2010 at 5:28 AM  

Great tip, I'll be sure to pass that along to the photographers in my family. Love the effects you choose to finish this picture with, it looks so different and unique. Wonderful

Betty December 30, 2010 at 4:18 AM  

Wow...what a difference in the 2nd photo. You are so talented. :)

Anonymous,  January 2, 2011 at 4:27 AM  

Wow Frances, I can really notice the difference. Good to know this can be altered. Thanks for posting!! me :D

Kellie Graham January 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

As always I love to see what you've been up to for photos, and as always I am not disappointed! The details that you choose to capture amaze me, I just love them! And I love to see how you alter your photos. Pure magic! Looking forward to more in 2011!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP