Thursday, October 21, 2010

Autumn in Oxford

Last weekend, my sister Bonnie and I visited the little town of Oxford, Maryland, situated on the Tred Avon River.   Here are a few photos to help us remember that beautiful day ....

Before arriving in Oxford, we passed through the not-as-tiny-as-I-thought town of Trappe.  We parked the car and walked a couple of blocks.  The owner of this beautiful yellow house was working in her yard, and we stood and chatted with her for a few moments

This little dog belonged to the lady in the yellow house .... quite the yapper!

We stopped at this produce stand, and the owner gave us permission to walk through his flowers and take as many photos as we wanted. 

Standing in the midst of a flowering vine just like ones Bonnie has admired in Lancaster.  The gentleman told us the name of the vine but my poor brain doesn't remember it.

Zinnias, still in bloom .... they always remind me of my Aunt B. and my growing-up days on the farm.

This mockingbird was keeping an eye on us as we walked through the flowers


Beautiful porches in Oxford ....

The marina ....

A door on a tiny building down by the ferry ....

A white birch tree at the River's edge, with the ferry in the background ...

Beautiful architectural detail ... love the lace curtains and the old lamp in the window....


Golden leaves .....

Autumn colors on the street where we parked ....

Beautiful trim ....

Who can resist taking pictures of berries .... not me!

And what better way to end a photo journey than with another picture of someone's beloved dog.  This dog's name is Ellie and her mother works in an oncologist's office and was wearing a "Fight Like A Girl" t-shirt.   I would have included her in the photo, but I got the impression she preferred that I just capture her Ellie.

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."   ~George Eliot

(Click on each photo to view in larger sizes ......)

6 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau October 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

Oh I have missed your beautiful artwork. When I look at what you achieve in the finished photograph, it's just amazing. You must be an incredibly patient person to put the kind of hours to edit and create such soulful art. Glad you were able to come up for air and share some of the fun you've been having capturing these great moments in time!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti October 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

Such beautiful photographs of both towns, Frances. I like the vintage feel to them and the lovely scenes you captured.
I have a dream to own a house with a cozy front porch and some wicker rockers to grace it, just as you have shown!

Ann October 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Absolutely beautiful pictures. I love seeing where you roam, dear Frances.

Gloria October 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

Very beautiful photos! I love how you captured the Autumn light, and that little white door with the wreath is very sweet! Love that Victorian trim too!! :)
Have a wonderful day!
xoxo Gloria @}~`}~~~

Erin Butson October 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Are you kidding? SO, beautiful!!! I love your photos and you details.

Anonymous,  November 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

Wonderful variey of autumn captures Frances,
I'm so glad you posted that wonderful photo of you!! :D
Such beautiful homes and verandas!
Just look at the bokeh on your zinnia's!!! How 'bout the talons on that mockingbird ... razor sharp!! Excellent detail!!
Those leaves and berries just pop with colour ...
I love that!!
Did you notice little Ellie has a pink collar??
Very beautiful Frances ...
hugs to you, Linda :D

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP