Saturday, January 14, 2012

Some Wildflower in my Heart

In the midst of the winter bleakness, I am going through old photos searching for color.  





































































(click photos to enlarge for better viewing)




Gifts from the Wildwood

I know not how to capture
This fragrant wildwood's rapture,
The magic of these dells
Where silent beauty dwells,
Where noble strength and power
in oak and pine tree tower.
But when from these I come,
I hope to carry home
Some spirit not yet had
To keep me strong and glad,
Something from oak and pine
To be forever mine;
When from these woods I part,
Some wildflower in my heart. *
(Archibald Rutledge)


*this poem is the inspiration for the title of one of my all-time favorite books, entitled "Some Wildflower in my Heart" by Jamie Langston Turner.

read about the book here




you are so kind to vist .... thank you
frances


6 comments:

Cheryl January 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM  

Oh, that is one of my favorite books too, Frances!! And this is a beautiful poem! Is it mentioned in the book anywhere? If so, I have missed it, so I am glad that you shared it.

I don't know if I have heard you say what your favorite season is, but I am guessing that it is not winter?

May the wildflowers in your heart cheer you on this gray winter's day!

Love,
Cheryl ♥

Frances January 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM  

Cheryl, I don't remember if the whole poem is mentioned in the book or not. I found it by doing a Google search. It's been a while since I've actually read the book, but I've listened to the audio version several times. I don't think I could ever get tired of it. Birdie is SUCH an inspiration.

And you are right ... winter is not my favorite season. Sigh.

Kati January 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM  

I love that book! It's one of my favorites. Beautiful pictures! Good way to add some cheer to dreary winter.

Bren Graham Thebeau January 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM  

Beautiful reminders of things to come as we battle the snow here :-)

Mrs.T April 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM  

I love that book too! One of my all-time favorites. And yes, the poem figures prominently in the story. It is a cross-stitched design which I believe hung over the piano at Mickey and Birdie's home. If I'm not mistaken, Mickey had designed and stitched it because they loved the poem so much. Later, Mickey gives the stitchery to Margaret as a gift.

In my opinion, Jamie Langston Turner is the best writer of Christian fiction there is. Thanks for sharing her book here.

Unknown June 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM  

This is my favorite of all of her books. I've read it 3 times and listened audible twice and I know I will again as I let a year or few pass between each time. I googled trying to find the poem as I want to print it on a photograph of woods with wildflowers which led me to this blog with lovely pictures AND the poem! Picking a photo I took in our woods is the hardest as it must convey all the emotion, the longing as well as joy I feel when reading the poem with the story of the novel and my own journey in mind.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP