Saturday, March 20, 2010

Barns of Delmarva ... The Continuing Story

You get up early on a Friday morning and head towards the nation's capital, two and a half hours away.  About a third of the way there, you spot an abandoned barn way off in a field.  You say rather loudly to your husband ... "Oh, look at THAT!"   Husband immediately puts the car into the turn lane on a busy highway and heads back in the other direction, as the scene of attraction has now been passed.  You get your car headed back in the right direction, find the correct road, pass the field with the barn so you can see it at all angles, go a little farther down the road, turn around, pull over to the side of the road ... and then you have to decide if you are brave enough to walk past three artists who are set up on the side of the road, painting the house that sits near the barn.   You walk way out into the field on property that is probably "posted", though you do not see a "posted" sign.  You tell yourself that this is what you do for the sake of art.  And you keep walking .....




You get your much-longed-for photos ... you pick which one of the dozen you want to edit ... you spend an entire Saturday afternoon editing ... your husband occasionally stands behind your back and says ... "May I make a suggestion?"  .... sometimes you go with the suggestion, sometimes you don't .... and finally, you decide that the piece of art is finished ..... and then you think ... "I wonder how it would have looked in black and white?"



"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."  --- Marcel Proust

(click on photos to enlarge and see more detail)

4 comments:

Betty March 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

They are both really beautiful. How sweet of Gary to turn around and go back so that you could get your pictures.

Bonnie March 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

So envious of your husband for actually turning around! When I make my husband do this, well lets just say there is plenty of grumbling involved. Of course it never helps when I tell him to stop in the worst possible place. hahaha the things we do for a great shot! :)

I adore barn photos! Beautifully edited. I love how you show us one with color and one in b/w. It's hard to say which one I like better. If I'm feeling more moody, then I'd definitely go with the b/w. Seems more melancholy, almost haunting. But oh that red in the first shot. Really speaks to you.

Superb job! Give you husband a great big hug!!! :)

Love the quote too. I'm always trying to see everyday items in new ways.

Cheers!

xoxo,
Bonnie

Pauline March 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pauline March 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

I always love reading your blog posts, Frances... And this one is no exception. I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing this story. You have a wonderful husband. I guess we are both blessed by wonderful husbands because my husband is like that too... Whenever I'm working on a page, there he is behind my back with words of encouragement and support and most of the time giving me a massage at the back... Lol! Hugs to you, my friend! Looking forward for more of these stories!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP