Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Quaint Village of Bethel, Delaware

The entire town of Bethel, a quaint village of Victorian and Italianate architecture with a population of 199, is on the National Historic Register. Bethel was founded in the late 1700's and incorporated in the 1880's. The town, located on the north bank of the Broad Creek near Laurel, was a prosperous shipbuilding community in the 1800's and many of the homes were built by ship carpenters for sea captains of that period.



My sister Bonnie and I visited the little town of Bethel yesterday, driving through for the very first time, even though we have lived in this area all our lives and have gone many times to the popular greenhouse business just outside of town.  Wow.  What a sweet and beautiful little place.  Picket fences, flowering shrubs, Victorian houses with attached little cottages, waterfront property, a little general store .... and a place small enough that one could park her car right in the middle of the street long enough to jump out and take a couple of photographs.   I'll be posting more pictures as I edit them, but wanted to get this one posted since I have it as today's entry in the 365 project.   Click on photo to enlarge.








7 comments:

momma-nance March 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

what a treasure to discover someplace wonderful right in your back yard. I hope I can do a photo walk thru the town with you some day.

UrbanExpressions March 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

Frances, someday I'm going to do an East Coast vacation and I definitely want you to join me. You find the most amazing places.

bonnie March 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

I think the secret is finding the beauty of where you are. You can find beauty in a quaint village; in the grand buildings of D.C.; in a flower's bloom; a bird; or a child's smile.......even in abandoned buildings.

Frances March 29, 2010 at 3:38 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty March 29, 2010 at 4:36 AM  

Frances I stand in awe of these photos. I love the ones where you have 4 pictures together forming one. Wish I had been with you and Bonnie.

Cheryl March 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

I love Bethel...and I love these photos that you took! You really captured the beauty and quaintness of this little community! (I want to live in the house with the white picket fence. :-)

Pauline April 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

So beautiful photos, Frances! I enjoyed looking at them... Looking forward for more...

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP