Thursday, May 6, 2010

What You Find At Garden Centers


I visited a local garden center on Monday, without camera in hand because I thought I could surely go SOMEWHERE without feeling the need to take pictures. As I was looking for hanging baskets for my porch, I glanced up and spotted a basket with a Momma Robin sitting on a nest of babies! And me with no camera! I asked the owner if she was aware of the nest and she said this happens every year. They have placed a "Sold" sign in the basket to try to keep anyone from mistakenly taking it down. I returned yesterday afternoon, this time with camera in hand. The owner even brought me a little stool to climb on so that I could get a better view. And when Momma Robin flew away for a few minutes, I was able to get a few shots of the babies.

I edited the picture and then used a clipping mask as a frame. And I went to my scrapping files and found a ribbon that I placed over the baby bird, whose beak you can see peeking up underneath her Momma (look for the circle part of the ribbon). And I also grabbed a piece of wordart by Tangie Baxter and placed off to the side.
(click photos to enlarge for better detail)

Baby robins ...... in the photos, the nest and babies all just blended together and I had a tough time trying to make the babies stand out a bit.   In attempting that, I think I overprocessed but decided I was just going to have to be happy with it since I had already spent hours on it.  In any event, you get an idea of what they looked like.   I had just changed to a long lens on my camera when the owner told me the Momma had flown away and that I could see the babies.   I was in a hurry to get the shots before Momma returned and I was having trouble getting the lens to focus.  





Photos taken at Williams Market on Nanticoke Road in Salisbury, Maryland.   Many thanks to the owner for her help.   I will be printing some of the photos and will take them to her since she said she had never taken any pictures of this little family.  Don't you just love the "Sold" sign inside the basket?   Gosh, I think I would buy it if it wasn't already taken ..... but only if the birds were included.

4 comments:

Bonnie May 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

beautiful post! I will come back when i have more time to really look at them. I'm about to go to work but just checked my email and had to respond to you.

if only we lived closer! so many fun times. having coffee with you and talking about photography, definitely a wonderful dream!! maybe one day...

:)

check out my 365 project for tuesday i believe... kinda go into a little detail on how i achieve those vintage shots.

xoxo,
Bonnie

Bren Graham Thebeau May 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM  

Once again you've caught the essence of something with your lens. I love how these turned out and the one of the babies is pure art, just love them.

Sewn With Grace May 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM  

Frances, so glad you found me so I could come and join your lovely blog. Looking forward to reading through your posts. So glad to find another sister-in-Christ. Have a blessed day!

bonnie May 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

I think we have been to Williams Market in the past when there was a bird's nest in one of the hanging baskets. But that would have been when they were in their old location -- makes you wonder why the bird chose some place so close to people.
I guess Robins must be bascially people friendly birds. I love every photo of the birds that you posted here.
But I know you're not surprised that this sister of yours would like these photos.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP