Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ellis Island

One of the things Gary and I enjoyed the most during our NYC trip was the ferry ride over to Ellis Island, passing by the Statue of Liberty.   We watched a short movie in the theater at Ellis Island, telling some of the history.  Lots of joys and lots of sorrows at this place which saw the very first immigrants to the U.S. all those many years ago.   

The trip started at Battery Park, where you had to stand in line and then go through very tight security

The top deck of the ferry was full .....


Some were trying to shade themselves from the hot sun ...

There were lots of nice ships in the harbor ....



This was the first time I had seen the Statue of Liberty ....




Ellis Island ....




The birds welcomed us ....


beautiful ceilings ...

beautiful chandeliers ....

some of the original luggage of the immigrants ....















And when the trip was over and we arrived back at Battery Park, the birds were still welcoming us ....

5 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau June 16, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

Awe inspiring. Again I'm getting to see something I've not seen in person through the eye of your camera. The shot of the ceiling and then the one with the light fixture, beautiful, haunting. perhaps that's because the lives of so may passed through it's halls...

UrbanExpressions June 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Oh Ellis Island is beautiful. Next trip I am bypassing the Statue and going for Ellis. I always do the round trip thing and then end up motion sick and missing Ellis.

Bonnie June 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

I've never been to Ellis Island or anywhere near it for that matter. The east coast is pretty much foreign territory to me. :)

I love getting a glimpse of what you saw. It makes me feel like I'm there! Loving all of your gorgeous pictures. I've enjoyed my virtual vacation through your eyes!!

Have a wonderful day Frances. And I just wanted to thank you again for all of the sweetness you always leave over at my blog and on 365. Your comments always bring sunshine to my days. Thank you!!

xoxo,
Bonnie

Anonymous,  June 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

WOW...the people, the boats, the architecture...and the haunting museum photos....all are wonderful!! and of course the "great statue"...she truly is stunning...i felt as if i were there!!...i only wished i were there!! :D
thanks for sharing Frances...hugs, linda :D

Cheryl June 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

I so enjoyed looking at these photos! I went to Ellis Island many years ago on a field trip with Kristin. I found it so moving...the piles of suitcases, the quotes...many of the things that you photographed.

As an aside...I didn't enjoy the Statue of Liberty as much. I had decided that I was not going to be a wimp, and that I was going to climb the Statue. But my fear of heights got the better of me! I went all the way to the top of the pedestal (about half of the total height)...but when I got up to the lady herself...YIKES! I felt like I was in a giant hollow Easter bunny with a staircase just suspended inside! And the staircase was so narrow, I knew there was no turning back if I started up. No way! Kristin completed the climb with the rest of the group, but I wimped out. And I have never regretted it either!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP