Thursday, June 10, 2010

Friday Pretties --- Head Vases

It's time again for "Friday Pretties", hosted by Joyce at http://iloveprettylittlethings.blogspot.com/ .   I've been traveling the past two weekends and haven't been able to particpate, so I'm excited to be able to join in on the fun again.    Thank you, Joyce.

A few years ago, I went through a period of collecting "Head Vases."  Head vases, generally showing a woman from the shoulders up, were used by florists primarily in the 1950s and 1960s. Made in a variety of sizes and often decorated with imitation jewelry and other lifelike accessories, the vases were manufactured in Japan and the U.S.A. Less elaborate examples were made as early as the 1930s.

Here are four of mine ....

This vase is based on the artwork of Frances Hook, who is one of my favorite artists.   A little girl holding a white kitty ... so very "me"!


I won this vase on ebay .... such a sweet and gentle face


This little girl in the pink bonnet was a birthday gift from my sister Bonnie ... what a wonderful surprise to open my package and see this lovely face staring back at me.

I bought this little praying girl at an antique mall the day after my nephew Matthew's wedding.

And here are all four vases, lined up on my table.  They sort of look like Sisters, don't they?   Wouldn't it have been wonderful to have received a floral delivery that included such beautiful vases?



On a somewhat similar vein, here is a Manhattan window display ....



And lastly, here are my own white kitties .... Victoria Lynn and Sara Lee


Thanks so much for stopping by.   Don't forget to go to Joyce's blog to follow the links to more Friday Pretties.

13 comments:

Bonnie June 10, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

oh how fun! you know I never even knew there was such a term as head vases?! you have such a dainty, precious collection. I'll be so excited now when I'm venturing around the antique shop and see one of those little treasures and know they aren't missing their body, they are supposed to be just a head. :) hahahaha sometimes I can be "special."

so glad you are back and looking forward to hearing more from your travels.

sending cupcakes and sunshine your way!

xoxo,
Bonnie

Bonnie June 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

oh and your kitties, *LOVE.* :)

Elizabeth June 11, 2010 at 12:19 AM  

What sweet little pretties! Those little girl vases are so cute!
And what pretty little kitties you have!
Elizabeth

I Love Pretty Little Things June 11, 2010 at 4:04 AM  

I LOVE those vases!!! I am going to have to keep an eye out for them when I am antique shopping.

I would love to have a floral arrangement arrive at my door in one of those beauties. I should ahve been born back then. :)

Thanks for playing Friday Pretties and for your mention of my blog.
Have a Wonderful Pretty Friday!!!
Joyce

Bren Graham Thebeau June 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM  

Wow, I've learned something new today, had no idea the history behind these little vases. They are so appealing, I think because of the innocence in their expressions. Love the shot of the window display, no innocence there :-) And your kitties win the 'pretty' badge, my word they are beautiful.
Glad to have you back and posting again!

It's me June 11, 2010 at 5:18 AM  

Beautifil beautiful friday pretties !!! happy weekend ! enjoy........hugs from me Ria
.........

Burlap Luxe June 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Bonnie,
Thank you for your visit.
Thank you for taking the time to comment so dearly on my bird china!!

Love all the charm of new and vintage over hear as well, you bring back childhood memories :)
Eeeeh gads!! I'm getting old remembering the things of your passionate post!

xx
Dore

birdie blue June 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Your little vase are darling! That's just the kind of thing that makes you happy to look at, and use.
Style with substance, the best.
Have the loveliest of weekends
~Molly

Gloria June 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

I love your vintage head vases! Your whole blog is a visual delight (I have a "love of birds" also), I am so glad I found you through Joyce's "Friday Pretties"...:) Your kitties are absolutely the prettiest!!!
Have a wonderful weekend!
@}`~}~~~ Gloria

Gloria June 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

Oh, I forgot to say, "You have a new follower!" :)

Rosie June 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the head vases...I too collected them for a while...vintage flare is really quite charming...smile on Rosie

I Love Pretty Little Things June 14, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Hi, Me again! I am putting up a new linky for Friday Pretties. I hope that you join in the Hop again! Your blog is a beauty!
Joyce

Anonymous,  June 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

hi frances....lovely vintage collection!! i spotted one at my brother in law's camp a few years back....such a lovely, unique vase!! your collection is just so charming!!...and your kitties...well, i'm a cat person...need i say more....they are absolutely gorgeous...all snuggled in their spots like that!!
hugs...linda :D

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP