Monday, June 21, 2010

A View Towards Eternity

"A Peaceful Oasis in the heart of Brooklyn, New York" .... that is the subtitle on the website for the Green-Wood Cemetery. Founded in 1838 as one of America’s first rural cemeteries, the Green-Wood Cemetery soon developed an international reputation for its magnificent beauty and became the fashionable place to be buried. By 1860, Green-Wood was attracting 500,000 visitors a year, rivaling Niagara Falls as the country’s greatest tourist attraction. Crowds flocked to Green-Wood to enjoy family outings, carriage rides and sculpture viewing in the finest of first generation American landscapes. Green-Wood’s popularity helped inspire the creation of public parks, including New York City’s Central and Prospect Parks.


Here are a few photos from our HOT afternoon at this site ...


entrance ... Gothic Revival style architecture


chapel ....




 Magnificent angel sculptures


Beautiful flowers ....

"OUR DARLING GEORGIE .... BYE! BYE! 'TIL PAPA & MAMA COMES

The sorrow of losing children ....

The sorrow of losing a husband ....

WITH CHRIST, WHICH IS FAR BETTER

It was unbelieveable to see hillsides covered in mausoleums ...


And everywhere, the birds were urging us on ....


"Then I will go ... to God, my Exceeding Joy"
(Psalm 43:4)

... I knew something that morning of what it will be when He "shall look us out of pain."
(Amy Carmichael)

7 comments:

It's me June 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

These pictures are beautiful..thanks for share,..............have a wonderful summerday evening !!! hugs from me...Ria....

Bren Graham Thebeau June 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

It's like you dropped into another land...the chapel is amazing and I love your choice of photos telling us the stories in this 'other' world. Beautifully done

D. Jean Quarles June 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Wow! What an amazing place. Love the entrance.

Anonymous,  June 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

...such MAGNIFICANT architecture and stunning detail!!
how a place of sorrow can be so grand!!
and you have narrated this "place of rest" just perfectly!!
wonderful Frances...
hugs, linda :D

I Love Pretty Little Things June 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Thank you so much for the words to that beautiful song! Also, thank you for your words of encouragement. It is also so great to hear Survivor stories! I hope that you and your sister, and family continue to do well.
Thank you for your prayers and for following Sherries site. That means a lot!

Love,
Joyce

Bonnie June 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Oh Frances! Thank you so much for sharing this tour. I love how you show us all of these little details that weave together a beautiful story.

Please don't worry. I've been absent from commenting on both blog and 365 lately. Life does get busy, and I completely understand.

Please take care and stay cool!!


xoxo,
Bonnie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti June 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

I was excited to see this wonderful post as I live in Brooklyn and I am a volunteer with the Civil War Veteran project at Green-Wood cemetery. I have also often blogged about Green-Wood on my blog.

Your blog is a beautiful and reflective place, and I enjoyed visiting you!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP