Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Hour of Splendor In The Grass


“That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.”
(William Wordsworth)

This display in the Smithsonian American History Museum is another one that tugs at my heartstrings.  Wow, the memories.   This represents the era when I was a child ... the 1950's and '60's.  The car looks exactly like some of the cars we had in our family, a family that eventually totalled eight children.  My father was a farmer and school bus driver.  In the summers, we would all load into the station wagon and go for a short weekend vacation to the Blue Ridge Mountains; sometimes sleeping in the car.   A totally different world from today.   My parents are both gone now.   I have to confess that I look at this photo with a mixture of emotions ... joy for the memories, gratefulness to my parents, love for my siblings, and sorrow for the things that are no more. 

The original photo was edited with Akvis Sketch with the colored pencil effect .... if you would like to learn more about this photo editing tool, visit
(click on photo to enlarge)

5 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau April 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

It's always fun to raise an eye brow or two in the name of art :-) There is something about the varying patterns and tones that wood offers up that is so beautiful. DuChemin talks about photography that is soulless, technically perfect but lacks heart...I realized that's it, your photo's have soul, they pull at you and make you feel. Obviously the pictures you take move you, and because they do you capture them in that moment stealing them away until you share them with another and then we are moved...love what you do

Frances April 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Thank you, Bren ... what a compliment to think of my pictures as having soul ...

Betty May 3, 2010 at 4:10 AM  

I'm crying now Frances. This does look like it could be our family. And I remember those trips to the mountains sleeping in the car.

Bonnie May 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

You totally nailed that 1950s - 60s vibe in this shot and with your superb editing diva skills. :)
Your words are so beautiful and pull on my heart strings as well. Trips taken with your family... wow, haven't done one of those in so long. I've been through parts of the Blue Ridge Mountains during the fall. Gorgeous views!!

Love this post, Frances. Love.

PS Your new banner is such a delight! I love how she is peeking through the window. So light, fun and full of unknown excitement. Beautiful job!

bonnie May 15, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Yes....I remember those times. I remember going to somewhere in PA and I think we all went thru Lincoln Caverns and we slept in the car. It sure would not be wise or safe today to sleep in your car. I remember once we went drove to the Pocono Mts and it was so foggy when we got there we couldn't see anything. I think we came back home.
I guess the best we can do now is to continue to make memories with each other and with our children......sister junebug

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP