Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Riding The Bus In 1939

"Farmer and part-time bus driver Russell Bishop started the day by milking the cows and warming up his school bus. After her breakfast, his daughter Mary Lou joined him on the bus. On cold mornings a neighbor brought Mary Lou a heated brick wrapped in newspaper to warm her hands. The bus took an hour to reach the Martinsburg school, unless the harsh Indiana weather slowed the ride. Twelve classmates rode the 10 miles with Mary Lou and her Dad". (Martinsburg, Indiana 1939


Another display in the Smithsonian American History Museum. This one was dear to my heart because it is so close to my childhood memories, except for warming a brick. My father drove a school bus for many, many years, and did farming "on the side" ... as did his father before him. Or was farming the main occupation and the school bus "on the side"? I could be the wax figure of this little girl, holding onto the hand of her bus-driver Dad.   My siblings and I always loved getting on the very back seat of the bus, because you could feel all the bumps that way.   Can you imagine?   Now we go out of our way to avoid bumps.   My Dad drove Bus No. 6 in Wicomico County, Maryland.


and a more artsy edit ..... using Topaz Simplify 3 and Nik Color Efex, in addition to three textures which I blended together




1 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau April 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

I love that you've shared this story right along with the pictures. What you do with your camera reminds me of the quote my sister, Kel has on her blog. "Nostalgia is powerful, and images that harness that nostalgia are among the most compelling and universal images."
Our Dad was a farmer and Mum was a teacher, and we all loved to see how high we would bounce at the back of the bus on dirt roads :-)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP